Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Europe invades the Barbarian Gym (grr)

With a rather oppressive work schedule at the office (Mon-Sat from about 9 am to 9 pm, with every other Saturday off), I noticed that I had been getting little or no exercise. Luckily for me, a gym opened up right in the Sunder Nagar market -- literally a stone's throw from where I'm staying.

The Barbarian Gym (pictured) is not much different from an American gym, except that it's probably a little more expensive (any outfit like this has high costs from the extortionate import duties on machinery such as gym equipment -- same goes for electronics and furniture).

I went to the gym early one morning last week with my iPod in hand. The membership is low because the gym is very new, so I was one of perhaps three people working out in the whole three story complex.

Headphones on, I went straight up to the treadmill in the cardio area. I turned on a dance melody I've had for a while -- it has Indian lyrics and distinctively Indian beats. I felt it appropriate given my setting, and it was a nice change of pace from my usual gym mix consisting of cheap power ballads and one choice song by Eminem (nominated for a Grammy, I might add).

As the music started to fade out, signalling the end of the Indian dance beat, the gym's music system became more and more audible.

What was playing?

The Final Countdown


Even in the middle of a south-Asian country, I can't get away from crappy 80s music by Europe.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i am thinking of going to the barbarian gym. they have a sauna too? what facilities? trainer? pool? thegaviero@gmail.com